Advanced Language Training (ALT) Instructor
Employer: Regina Open Door Society
Location: Regina, SK
Type of positions: Part time term (September 13, 2017 - December 31, 2017)
The Regina Open Door Society (RODS) is a non-profit organization that provides settlement and integration services to refugees and immigrants in Regina. RODS is committed to meeting the needs of newcomers by offering programs and services that enable them to achieve their goals and participate fully in the larger community.
The Regina Open Door Society Inc. is seeking a qualified individual to staff a term part-time position of Advanced Language Training (ALT) Instructor. The start date for this position is Wednesday September 13, 2017.
This position’s primary responsibilities are to deliver employment-focused Advanced Language Training; to assist newcomers to develop the language skills needed to meet their individualized employment challenges and to attain knowledge of the Saskatchewan work environment; and to connect clients to the Saskatchewan labour market working in collaboration with RODS Job Developers/Employer Liaisons. Additional responsibility is to work collaboratively with the RODS Employment Instructors to develop course-related materials.
- Deliver part-time evening classroom based Advanced Language Training (ATL) in one of or a combination of the following 4 modules: You and the Labour Market, Getting a Job, Saskatchewan Workplace Culture and Once You are Working.
- Assist in the development of materials for the ALT modules.
- Track the progress of the learners using Portfolio-Based Language Assessment (PBLA).
- Plan and deliver communicative, task-based, outcomes-focused English modules following the former Enhanced Language Training (ELT) curriculum.
- Monitor attendance and submit reports as needed.
- B.ED. or related degree.
- TESL training and experience.
- Training and experience in employment/language instruction.
- Experience working with newcomers to Canada including those with advanced English language skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, collaboration and organization skills.
- Proven accountability, resourcefulness, initiative, and professionalism.
- Understanding of the Saskatchewan labour market and workplace culture.
- Strong ability to work cooperatively in a cross-cultural setting.
- TESL SK and/or TESL Canada accreditation.
- Knowledge of and experience in teaching the Canadian Language Benchmarks particularly as they relate to CLB 7&8 learners.
- Strong technological skills; ability to provide computer assisted language training and to use a database.
Hours of work:
Hours of work for this position are Monday to Thursday from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. including direct contact with the learners from 6:15 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. with a total of 16 hours per week. The annual salary for this position is $46,413.19 per year ($26.45 per hour) at the probationary level of RODS Professional Category 1 prorated for 16 hours of work per week. All positions at RODS require a clean criminal record check.
How To Apply
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please be able to provide three work related references at the time of your interview. Please respond in confidence no later than 4:00 PM on Monday August 25th, 2017 via mail, fax or email to HR Coordinator, Regina Open Door Society, 1855 Smith St. Regina, SK S4P 2N5. Fax: (306) 757-8166 Email: HR@rods.sk.ca.