LINC Evening Instructor
Employer: Regina Open Door Society
Location: Regina, SK
Type of positions: Part time permanent
The Regina Open Door Society (RODS) is a non-profit organization that provides settlement and integration services to refugees and immigrants in Regina. RODS is committed to meeting the needs of newcomers by offering programs and services that enable them to achieve their goals and participate fully in the larger community.
The Regina Open Door Society Inc. is seeking a qualified individual to staff a permanent part-time position of LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada) Instructor. The start date for this position is Monday, October 16, 2017.
This position’s primary responsibility is providing professional English as a Subsequent Language instruction to adult refugee and immigrant learners. Evaluation of learners including on-going progress assessment, short and long-term instructional planning (lesson and unit planning) and regular reporting are also position requirements. The needs of learners will be addressed using a task-based approach to communicative, settlement language training.
The position requires comprehensive knowledge of adult education, ESL teaching methodologies and experience in Teaching English as a Subsequent Language. Strong communication (oral and written), organizational and problem-solving skills are essential, as is the ability to work collaboratively in a cross-cultural setting.
- Planning and delivering communicative, task-based, outcomes-focused English as a Subsequent Language instruction using CLB (Canadian Language Benchmark) curriculum guidelines in a classroom setting.
- Employing a thematic approach to teaching based on Canadian culture and settlement and integration life skills.
- Assessing student benchmarks using Portfolio Based Language Assessment
- Fostering a positive and supportive learning environment for learners.
- Providing on-going needs-assessment and evaluation to ensure clients’ language needs are met.
- Maintaining class and learner files and monitoring attendance.
- Submitting monthly reports.
- Performing other position-related duties as needed.
- B.ED. or related degree.
- TESL training and experience.
- Consideration will also be given to a combination of a related university degree and formal TESL training/work experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organization skills.
- Proven accountability, resourcefulness and professionalism.
- Strong ability to work collaboratively in a cross-cultural setting.
- TESL SK and/or TESL Canada accreditation.
- Knowledge of and experience in teaching the Canadian Language Benchmarks particularly as they relate to beginner level learners.
- Strong technological skills; ability to provide computer assisted language training and to use a database.
- Experience using Portfolio-Based Language Assessment.
Hours of work:
Hours of work for this position are Monday to Thursday from 6:00 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. including direct contact with the learners from 6:30 p.m. to 8:45 p.m. with a total of 13 hours per week. The annual salary for this position is $46,413.19 per year ($26.45 per hour) at the probationary level of RODS Professional Category 1 prorated for 13 hours of work per week. All positions at RODS require a clean criminal record check.
How To Apply
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please be able to provide three work related references at the time of your interview. Please respond in confidence no later than 4:00 PM on Friday October 13th, 2017 via mail, fax or email to: HR Coordinator, Regina Open Door Society, 1855 Smith St. Regina, SK S4P 2N5. Fax: (306) 757-8166. Email: HR@rods.sk.ca.