If you are intending to work in a restaurant environment or anywhere where you are responsible for serving food, then you need to know how to handle food safely, avoid contamination, and ensure that you and your customers are kept healthy! FOOD SAFE Level 1 is a provincially- and nationally-recognized certificate program meant to prepare food safe handlers for work in a restaurant or food-related environment. This workshop is intended to help participants study for and prepare for the certification test, which can be undertaken after successfully completing this workshop.
Who is the workshop for?
- Newcomers who experience cultural and/or language/literacy barriers to employment.
- 16 years old and above
- English proficiency of CLB 3+
- Registered with RODS Employment Services for workshop enrolment. If you are not registered, please call (306) 352-3521. Please note: Space in this workshop is limited.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
FOOD SAFE Level 1 covers all aspects of safe food handling, including personal hygiene, food preparation, food storage, facility requirements, and hazard identification. Topics include, but are not limited to:
- Causes of food contamination and foodborne illness
- Development of Food Safety Plans (FSP)
- Food handler health and hygiene
- Storing, heating, re-heating, thawing, and cooling food safely
- Cleaning, sanitizing, and pest control
After completing the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Identify potential hazards and sources of foodborne illness
- Follow proper food handler hygiene, including hand-washing
- Know how to prepare a variety of foods in a safe, hazard-free way
- Feel confident in writing the FOOD SAFE Level 1 exam