Employer: Regina Open Door Society
Number of positions: 1
Type of positions: Budget Officer
Wage/Salary: $52,291.97 ($29.80 per hour)
Regina Open Door Society Internal & External Candidates
Department: Central Admin & Finance Department
Position Title: Budget Officer
Term: Full Time
# of Opening(s) 1 position
Closing Date: July 31, 2020
Staff of the Regina Open Door Society Inc. (RODS) must at all times operate within the mandate of service to immigrants and refugees settling in Regina, with the long-term goal of early adjustment and participation in Canadian society. As a part of a broad-integrated settlement unit, staff must perform all duties with tact and diplomacy, constantly maintaining the confidentiality of clients and RODS staff, and working together – cooperatively – ensuring that the goal of effective service to clients is the priority.
The Budget Officer contributes to the overall success of the organization by working with Program Directors and Managers to develop & monitor the organization’s budget. This position is directly accountable to the Finance Manager and the Director of Central Administration & Finance.
This individual must possess a strong ability to communicate and work well in both team and autonomous settings with little supervision while working for the greater good of the organization and clients. They thrive in a dynamic setting with tight deadlines. This individual must be a strong communicator and have strong interpersonal skills, and also be a collaborator and consensus builder.
• Degree in Accounting, Commerce or Business Administration with 2 years’ related experience
• Knowledge of GAAP;
• Knowledge of provincial legislation on Employment Standards;
• Knowledge of financial practices in the not for profit sector;
• Demonstrated understanding of customer service principles and practices;
• Works well in a collaborative and dynamic environment;
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point).
• Proficient in the use of Sage 50.
• Ability to accurately perform complex mathematical calculations.
• Clean Criminal Record check.
Duties and Responsibilities
The efficient day-to-day operation of RODS’ culturally diverse organization is maintained through a collaborative approach with the Leadership Team and staff through consensus based decision making. The Budget Officer’s responsibilities will include:
• Work with program Directors and Managers to develop the organization’s budget.
• Review Directors’ and Managers’ budget proposals for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with regulations.
• Reviews operating budgets periodically to analyze trends affecting budget needs.
• Combine all the program and department budgets together into a consolidated organizational budget and review all funding requests for merit.
• Monitor organizational spending to ensure that it is within budget.
• Proactively work with the Leadership Team to identify slippage in a timely manner, so that funds can be redirected by the program managers and directors.
• Inform program Directors and Managers of the status and availability of funds.
• Oversee the production of monthly and quarterly reports; financial claims and cash flows.
• Emphasize accountability and transparency among the management team.
• Work closely with Directors and Managers of Departments to understand their department needs; collect budget information, translate, and accurately model current and future initiatives under different scenarios.
• Ensure strong working relationships with other departments/teams.
• Work closely with the Finance Manager in the preparation of the annual budget. The budget is built through strong consultative processes with organizational stakeholders, and is submitted to the Board of Directors for approval.
• Working closely with managers and directors, enter and review financial claims and cash flow forecasts into Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)’s reporting portal.
The above job description provides a description of the general content of and requirements of the position. The information contained is not necessarily all-inclusive, other duties, as requested by the Accounting Manager and the Director of Central Finance and Administration, may be assigned.
Work is performed primarily in a standard office environment with extensive employees and public contact and frequent interruptions. Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting.
Hours of work are Monday to Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM with one hour unpaid lunch break and an Earned Day off (EDO) every second Monday or Friday. All positions at RODS require a clean criminal record check. There is a cost shared benefits package and 3% pension contribution available to the employee with a successful completion of a six-month probationary period. The annual salary for this position starts at $52,291.97 ($29.80 per hour).
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Please be able to provide three work related references at the time of your interview. Please respond in confidence no later than 4:00 PM on Friday July 31, 2020 by email to:
Wendy L Brooks
Regina Open Door Society
2314 11th Ave, Regina, SK S4P 0K1
How To Apply
Please apply on line