Evening Permanent Part-time LINC Instructor
Employer: Regina Open Door Society
Number of positions: 1
Type of positions: LINC Instructor
Wage/Salary: $26.98/hour (probationary)
Regina Open Door Society Internal and External Posting
Department Language Services (ELS)
Position Title LINC Instructor
Term Part-time permanent (2 evenings a week)
Work Hours Wednesday-Thursday 6:00 pm – 9:15 pm
Closing Date February 8th, 2019 - 4:00 p.m.
The Regina Open Door Society (RODS) is a non-profit organization that provides settlement and integration services to refugees and immigrants in Regina. RODS is committed to meeting the needs of newcomers by offering programs and services that enable them to achieve their goals and participate fully in the larger community.
The Regina Open Door Society Inc. is seeking a qualified individual to staff a permanent evening position of LINC Instructor. The start date for this position is Wednesday February 20th, 2018.
Job description - Position Summary
This position’s primary responsibility is providing professional English as a Subsequent Language instruction to low literacy adult refugee and immigrant learners. Evaluation of learners including on-going progress assessment, short and long-term instructional planning (lesson and unit planning) and regular reporting are also position requirements. The needs of learners will be addressed using a task-based approach to communicative, settlement language training.
The position requires comprehensive knowledge of adult education, ESL teaching methodologies and experience in Teaching English as a Subsequent Language. Strong communication (oral and written), organizational and problem-solving skills are essential, as is the ability to work collaboratively in a cross-cultural setting.
Job Description - Primary Responsibilities
• Planning and delivering communicative, task-based, outcomes-focused English as a Subsequent Language instruction using CLB (Canadian Language Benchmark) curriculum guidelines in a classroom setting.
• Employing a thematic approach to teaching based on Canadian culture and settlement and integration life skills.
• Assessing student benchmarks using Portfolio Based Language Assessment
• Fostering a positive and supportive learning environment for learners.
• Providing on-going needs-assessment and evaluation to ensure clients’ language needs are met.
• Maintaining class and learner files and monitoring attendance.
• Submitting monthly reports.
• Performing other position-related duties as needed.
• TESL SK and/or TESL Canada accreditation.
• Formal TESL training and classroom experience.
• B.ED. or related degree; consideration will also be given to a combination of a related university degree and formal TESL training/work experience.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and organization skills.
• Proven accountability, resourcefulness and professionalism.
• Strong ability to work collaboratively in a cross-cultural setting.
• Knowledge of and experience in teaching the Canadian Language Benchmarks particularly as they relate to literacy and beginner level learners.
• Strong technological skills; ability to provide computer assisted language training and to use a database.
• Experience using Portfolio-Based Language Assessment.
Hours of work
Hours of work for this position are Wednesday to Thursday from 6:00 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. including direct contact time with learners from 6:30 p.m. to 8:45 p.m. The hourly wage for this position is $26.98 per hour at the Probationary Level of RODS Professional Category 1.
All positions at RODS require a clean criminal record check.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please be able to provide three work related references at the time of your interview.
Please respond in confidence no later than 4:00 PM on Friday February 8th, 2018 via email.
Wendy L. Brooks
Human Resources Manager
Regina Open Door Society
1855 Smith St.
Regina, SK S4P 2N5
Fax: (306) 757-8166