What is FLIP?
FLIP is a play-based pilot program for refugee families of children 3 to 5 years old as they arrive in Canada. The 12-week program supports newcomer families from when they are placed (quarantined) in a hotel or a temporary accommodation. FLIP focuses on deepening parent-child bonds, supporting healthy early childhood development, and restoring a sense of parental agency.
For 12 consecutive weeks, the FLIP program engages parents and children with easy-to-follow activities. The program activities stimulate children’s creativity, develop consistent reading habits, and allow children to take part in physical activity while fostering quality playtime between parents and their children.
- 51 easy-to-follow double-sided activity cards
- 4 books
- A bag of craft supplies
- 4 toys
Every week, an animator will visit the family to deliver additional supplies for the week and provide quick instructions to support families in engaging with the material.
About Mothers Matter Centre
The FLIP program is offered by the Mothers Matter Centre (MMC) through partnered organizations to refugee families upon referral.
MMC has been developing successful programs to serve refugees, newcomers, and Indigenous communities. In addition, we have been working to support vulnerable, marginalized, and isolated mothers for 20 years in Canada. We believe empowering mothers is one of the best ways to achieve long-term sustainable results for children learning and development.
FLIP Aims to
- Increase engagement for children while they are confined in hotels by equipping parents with playful resources.
- Facilitate the bond between parents and children through engagement in play based learning activities.
- Improve the confidence of parents and children through expressing themselves and interacting with each other.
- Support holistic child development for improved school-readiness of children.
- Encourage parents to find support and alleviate feelings of isolation through the animators’ weekly visit.
Expected Outcomes for Families
For more information, please contact:
Project Manager-HIPPY French
Phone Number: 639-384-6515